Thursday, June 11, 2009

THE FINAL EVENT

A bit dreary of an evening but no less I had to partake in my final event for the corporate cup! The 2 Mile Fun Walk. NO PROBLEM!!! Changed my clothes, donned my sneakers and off I went over to Prendergast School in Ansonia. As I approached the school I could see the orange cones lining the street, flashing lights of the police cars and people walking all over! I looked over at the parking lot as the policeman was flagging me down, I thought great, I can get in this lot! WRONG! He said your best bet was to drive to the opposite end of this circle and walk back here from there! Hmmm, I guess now I will be walking 3 miles, NO PROBLEM. I obeyed and parked wayyyyyyyyyyy at the other end of the circle.

What I thought was going to be about 100 runners/walkers was actually about 200! What a wonderful turnout! Groups of friends and co-workers but where were all these people for the Corporate Cup events? Then I found out the race was open to the public. It was great! Old friends, new friends, friends from the United Way agencies and many from companies who participate in corporate campaigns just to name a few.

I hooked up with a great old time friend, Dorothy Gleason, and off we went. Runners and walkers, this sea of people embarked on the hilltop of Ansonia. I just happened to start next to Mayor Dellavolpe who was greeting everyone. (Never saw him start the race though, I think he escaped!) We had a great pace throughout and finished in about 31 minutes. Chatted the entire way, catching up on old times.

At the finish, there was plenty of pasta, bananas, watermelon and water for all. The sun was setting and it was time to go home. All in all a great evening and I walked my 2+ miles in no time!

No comments: