Friday, February 12, 2010

Men Who Cook - and those who pretend to cook

3rd Annual "Men Who Cook" Fundraiser

It's getting close! TEAM, Inc.'s wildly successful "Men Who Cook" fundraiser has been scheduled for Saturday, March 27, 2010 at Warsaw Park, Pulaski Highway, Ansonia, CT. from 6:00 to 10:00 P.M. And for the third straight year, I am one of the "chefs" - and I use the term very lightly in my case.

This is one of those "can't miss" events held in the Valley every year. In fact, it has become so popular that you really do need to plan to buy your ticket soon or you will not be able to go! I'm not sure of the exact number, but I think there are about 50 chefs ranging from those who make a living from their culinary work to those who have a real passion for cooking. And then there is a third category - pretenders. I'm not proud to say that I fall into the last category. It's almost sad to admit that someone once told a banquet audience that my culinary expertise was limited to showing him how to make a banquet out of a bag of potato chips and a bottle of coke!!

When Diane Stroman first asked me to participate in year one, I said yes with great trepidation. How would I pull this off? Take out from Roseland or Duchess was a thought, but definitely not allowed. Admit defeat and bow out - not an option! With so many talented chefs in the mix, maybe no one would notice whatever I did - not likely.

Luckily, I ran into Charlie Nolan, owner of the deli in the building where United Way is located and several others in the area. We got talking, and it turned out that Charlie was also going to be a chef. By the time our conversation was completed, my problem was solved. Charlie and I were going to be partners in the event - well sort of. In truth Charlie was and is the brains of the operation. He is an excellent chef, and he is allowing me to hang around and be his assistant. Even that was a bit of a challenge. However, I not only survived the first year's event, but even managed to fool some people into thinking I knew what I was doing. Charlie is the consummate pro. His recipes were delicious, and we were besieged with hungry patrons. It was a a big success, and Charlie deserves all the credit.

We're all set for this year's event, and you can look for another tasty dish. I don't want to cast any aspersions, but as you walk around the room, I think you might find some other well known figures who fit in my same category - pretenders! But it's all for a great cause, and it's a terrific night of food and fun.

Ticket Donation $50.00. For further information or to purchase tickets or provide sponsorships please call 203-736-5420 ext. 221. Of course, I have a supply of tickets as well, and you can reach me at 203-926-9478 or email jack.walsh@valleyunitedway.org.


For more information about Valley United Way, visit our website at www.valleyunitedway.org.

No comments: