Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Business Showcase Brings Back Old Friends

 I stopped in this morning at the Business Showcase presented by area Chambers of Commerce including our own Greater Valley Chamber under the very able leadership of my friend Bill Purcell. The keynote speaker was Charles Monagan, editor of Connecticut Magazine. He did a great job of talking about the great quality of life and history that we have here in Connecticut. Even in these difficult economic times, Connecticut is a special place, and he gave many great examples.

Bill mentioned that this is his tenth year in the Valley, and he talked about all the places that he has had a chance to visit within the state of Connecticut since he first arrived. I know people who have lived in Connecticut their whole lives (including myself) who have not seen as many state attractions as Bill.

As I wandered the hall looking at the exhibits, I ran across John Voket. John worked for a variety of local newspapers in the Valley before moving on to become editor of the Newtown Bee. He also works for WPLR radio where he produces the award winning public affairs program For the People. John has featured many stories about the Valley in the past, and we ended up doing a quick interview highlighting some of the interactions between the business and nonprofit communities and how important each is to the other. That interview may be heard some time in the future. It was great seeing John again and especially ironic that just last night at the bocce tournament, his name came up in conversation and I noted that I hadn't seen John in a while.

I want to congratulate the Chambers for another successful Showcase once again proving the value of networking and for giving me the opportunity to renew acquaintances with an old friend.


For more information about Valley United Way, visit our website at www.valleyunitedway.org.

No comments: