Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Boys & Girls Club Meets Many Needs

"I thought I would end up in jail. Now I’m on the road to success." – Michael Blanco

Life wasn’t easy for Michael growing up in Bridgeport. He frequently found himself getting into trouble and having a difficult time maintaining a positive family life. One afternoon Michael accepted a friend’s invitation to visit the Boys & Girls Club of Bridgeport and was instantly hooked. He became a regular and started visiting the Boys & Girls Club of the Lower Naugatuck Valley in Shelton with another childhood friend.

According to Michael, counselors Shaye and Jeff along with Mike, the program director, provided great programs and a positive family atmosphere. The counselors checked in on him by calling his cell phone and house regularly, making sure he was doing well and staying out of trouble. They continued to keep in touch outside of club hours, which led to Michael participating in more club activities.

"The Boys & Girls Club gave me a new, positive environment, and I took advantage of it," Michael said smiling. "The club got me into college and improved my social skills."

Michael was offered a job at the new Milford Boys and Girls Club after his continuous dedication. He believes the Boys & Girls Club programs and counselors stopped him from traveling further down a bad road and straightened him out. The Boys and Girls Club also rewarded Michael with a scholarship to attend college and provided him with a place to work, flexing his schedule around his academic hours.

"I really get to relate to these kids, and I love doing it. I get to talk to them about my past and allow the kids to take my experiences and use it to help them in their future. I’m the type of guy where if I had two dollars in my pocket, you better believe I’d be splitting it with a kid who wanted something from the vending machine."

Watch Michael's full video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yPw4R1Uf18

No comments: