Tuesday, November 25, 2008

A New Start As a Volunteer


My name is Joyce Saltes. I am a recent retiree with dreams and aspirations of helping others and making a difference. While recovering from a broken wrist, I realized that I still have the energy to do many things and the enthusiasm to meet and help people. Thus, I contacted the Valley United Way. I grew to admire the staff who worked for the organization and saw firsthand their dedication and commitment to the community.

Collaborating with the Valley United Way has given me the opportunity to accomplish my personal and social objectives on an ongoing basis. I consider myself lucky living in the United States, "the land of opportunity", and for having the opportunity to give back to my community for all that I have received. Of course, I am responsible for looking for those opportunities.

The value I bring to my volunteer work with the Valley United Way is associated with applying my extensive administrative, people and computer skills to each project. The welcoming environment and the professionalism of the staff support me in all those endeavors. I never imagined how large an impact on the community can be made with each small action. I am very grateful to be able to give my time, knowledge, and experience to everyone. I feel helpful and useful, which is so important to me.

My personal objective is to help the Valley United Way maintain their excellent standing in the Valley -- satisfying the biological, psychological, and social needs of each person.

I would like to say thank you to the staff of the Valley United Way for the opportunity to help and invite everyone to help others in any way.

I'd like to share these quotations with you:

"Volunteering is an act of heroism on a grand scale. And it matters profoundly. It does more than help people beat the odds; it changes the odds." -- President Bill Clinton

"There are two ways of spreading light - to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it." -- Edith Wharton

No comments: